Our guide Bob met us at the airport. He took us to the Holiday Inn Shifu. It is right in the city with one of their major shopping streets right outside the door. Lots of restaurants and stores - plenty to see!
On Wed we had to go to the clinic for MingGe's physical exam. This is required for the consulate. She had to get 4 shots?!?!?! Arghhh. Under the old rules, you had to submit a notarized affidavit that you would get the required shots when you got to the US. Under the new Hague rules, they must all be taken before being issued a Visa. Since they are required for school, I am not sure why they put the kids through this. MingGe, of course, knew exactly what was going on. As soon as we entered the clinic she started shaking her head and wimpering )-:
Her only words we in Chinese - translated to NO SHOTS!
She watched everything and did not cry until the last one. It must have hurt. Her arm is still a little sore today. She also slept almost 12 hours last night - which may have been a direct result of the shots.
After the clinic we walked back through the animal market. There we saw lots of cats, dogs, fish, etc... Jack was enthralled with the scorpions - good soup stock - turtles, eels, frogs and snakes. MingGe is very timid with the animals and not at all fond of the slimy ones. Wait until she goes to camp and the boys are catching buckets full of toads!
We also walked to a playground on Shaiman Island. Jack and MingGe played on the equipment and got an ice cream for the walk home. If you are all worried that I am going to spoil my little girl I do have my limits - no more than 3 ice creams per day!?!?!?! Actually after getting her shots she could have had anything. Mama couldn't even go in - Dad and Jack had to hold her hand and watch. I was the same way with Jack. I always had to leave the room when it came time for the shots. Some things never change!
We decided to eat in the hotel this evening because MingGe announced at 4:45 "I'm Hungry"!
When she sets her mind to it we have figured out we need to take care of things pretty quickly or things get ugly! She and Jack had a great time visiting the buffet numerous times.
Even though I was dreading the medical exam, MingGe, once again, was a trooper. Except for that part, it was a great day. MingGe has been singing, laughing and playing like a typical 4 year old. I know she still misses Auntie Migyeong and Auntie Elaine, she seems to be adjusting the the crazy family she has just joined.
No comments:
Post a Comment