Friday, March 6, 2009

I like Cheese - Reflections on our first week in China

As we complete our first week in China I thought I would make some comments about our trip so far.  
1.  Everyone we have met has been extremely friendly and helpful.  
For example, MingGe has sensitive skin (like Mama) and needed some diaper rash cream.  John went down to the front desk.  They speak pretty good English, but how do you translate diaper rash cream?   After pointing to his butt and drawing a tube of cream, they asked him if he needed to go to the hospital!?!?!  LOL
When they finally figured out that it was for MingGe they grabbed him by the hand and walked him down the street to the pharmacy, helping him purchase some aloe.  The next morning, one of the ladies from the marketing department who had heard about our request also bought us a tube and brought it to our room.
2.  I was hoping to lose some weight in China but that is NOT going to happen.
We have totally enjoyed every meal we have had here.  The only thing I really miss is cheese.  Dairy is not as common here as the states, probably due to the refrigeration requirement.  Even the water and soda coolers here are turned off at night.  Most drinks are served warm.
3.  Have a mentioned the beds?   I believe the Liaoning Mansion is a 4 star hotel.  We had a suite which was very large, even by Western standards.  The  living room had enough room to put a rollaway on one end and still be out of the way.  Our bedroom had a King bed which Jack, MingGe and I slept in.  I am not actually sure there it was a bed though - more like concrete with a sheet on it.  John decribed as a  boxsping with a sheet.  I don;t mind sleeping on the floor, so it was fine.  I am not sure Uncle Harry and Aunt Ali would have survived.  Not Sleep Number here!  I have heard this is the same of all authentic Chinese hotels.  Although we could have stayed at the InterContinental, I am glad we experienced a more tranditional hotel.
4.  Shenyang is a large city.  We will miss it.

Our hotel in Beijing is called the Luxury Serviced Residence.  And it is a residence.  It has two bedrooms, a kitchen, living room and second living room where I am now with a desk - also 2 bathrooms - hoorah!  It is two floors and furnished in Scandanavian style.  There are tall windows that span both floors and there are balconies in both bedrooms with spectacular views of  Beijing.  It is bigger than Elaine and Migyeong's apartment and actually bigger than most apartments in Portland Me or any other big city.  Did I mention that it is $100 per night with taxes and fees?  The larger hotels in Beijing like Marriott and Hilton are $250-300 per night, just for comparison.

I can't help but wonder what MingGe thinks though.  First we go from a suite to a huge apartment.  When we get to Guangzhou on Tues and check in to the room with two beds I am sure she is going to think - what's going on here???!?!?!

Today we are going to the Summer Palace and then to the zoo to see the Pandas.  I hope my little girl has a good day.

D



No comments: